Posts for November, 2018Back to all Blog
Posted on November 07, 2018 - 8 months ago
Weird things people believe about their local governments
When I was doing research for my applied research paper (ARP) I researched the history of two communities, Manor, and Carlyle. I wanted to see why they developed so differently, but in doing so, learned so much more. People have always, always complained that their taxes were way too high. Always. In fact, several beliefs about local government seem to have emerged that I think contributes to the over all us and them attitudes that plague the municipal governments, and the main one is the cit... More...
Posted on November 05, 2018 - 8 months ago
A Rising Tide Lifts All The Boats...
"The Rising Tide Lifts All the Boats" is a phrase made popular by JFK but was not original to him. The phrase is used most often by politicians to make the claim that if one area in an economy is prosperous, then we can assume all people benefit. I don't think it is that simple. I think that in order to be beneficial, community economic plans need to be designed to deliberately improve the circumstances of all who live within that community. Good economic planning needs to inc... More...
- Pages (1 of 1)
Posts By Date
- YAY Carlyle Fun Daze Committee
- 7 Things Small Towns Do Better
- The Sustainability Project Nominates Ron Paul for Rural Community Leadership Award
- Down the rabbit holes of historical research
- Writing the ARP--a little history
- 10 Things Councils Can Do to Support Sustainability
- When Christmas Came to Our House
- The Number One Reason Why Small Towns Deserve Your Tax Dollars
- Summer "Soul"stice Events a Hit!